Passport (Week 7)
Kingdom Victory -:Dealing with Strongholds
PASSPORT - WEEK 7
2 Corinthians 10:3-5 (NIV)
For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
2 Corinthians 10:3-5 (NLT)
We are human, but we don’t wage war as humans do. We use God’s mighty weapons, not worldly weapons, to knock down the strongholds of human reasoning and to destroy false arguments. We destroy every proud obstacle that keeps people from knowing God. We capture their rebellious thoughts and teach them to obey Christ.
WHAT ARE STRONGHOLDS?
Which of following phrases helps you most to understand what a stronghold is and why? Maybe you have another way to phrase it. What would that be?
- It is an idea that has a strong hold on you
- It is an entrenched thought that controls your thinking, feeling, choosing and living
- It is an false notion against God’s Word, will and ways
- It can be personal or cultural; individual or communal
- It is a LIE that becomes your TRUTH
- It is a LIE that becomes your TRUTH and keeps you from walking in the joy, peace, freedom and victory that God has for His children
- It’s not a demon, though it can be influenced by a demon, and therefore, demonic
- It’s not an addiction, though it can lead to one and can fuel the addiction
WHERE DO STRONGHOLDS COME FROM?
- From parents and upbringing, from culture and education; from pain and crisis, from our sinful responses, from the devil
WHERE IS THE BATTLE?
- The battle ground is in YOUR mind, which controls your thoughts, emotions, choices, life and destiny
- The battle ground is in the CORPORATE “mind”, that is, cultural philosophies and ideas that control societies
Why is the mind such an important battleground? How have you seen this to be true in your experience?
WHAT ARE SOME STRONGHOLDS?
- Superiority and Racism
- Inferiority and Negativity
- Fear and Worry
- Hopelessness and Despair
- Lust and Pleasure
- Greed and Entitlement
- Scarcity and Lack
What ones missing? Which ones have a strong hold on you?
How Do You Overcome Strongholds?
- Take Responsibility - It's your brain, so think about what you think
- Get Your Fight On - This is the biggest battle of your life
- Reject the Lie - Just say NO
- Believe the Truth - Just say YES
- Get Support - You can't fight this alone
- Obey the Lord - Obey your way to freedom
- Renew your Mind - This is how the process of transformation takes place
Romans 12:2 (NIV)
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Romans 12:2 (NLT)
Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
- Pray with Authority
Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
Father, what is a lie that I have made my truth? Now what is your Truth that overcomes this lie? I reject the lie - ______ and replace it with your Truth - ______, in Jesus’ name, Amen.
Which step in overcoming strongholds is most important for you right now and why?
Let's recite our memory work.
Separating men with men and women with women, have each person work through the following prayer being as honest and specific as possible. What is a lie that has become a stronghold in your life? Put it in words. Then help each other find a Biblical truth (if possible with a verse from the Bible) to counteract the lie. Then pray over each other in the name of Jesus for greater joy, peace, freedom and victory