Part 5 - For Mercy's Sake
Matthew 5:7 - Blessed are the merciful for they will be shown mercy.
What is mercy?
Compassion for the hurting - Luke 10:36-37
Forgiveness for the sinner - Luke 18:13
Is God’s mercy conditional?
No - Ephesians 2:8-9
- God’s mercy is a gift of grace through faith in Jesus
There is more mercy in God than sin in you and me!
- B5 comes after B1-4 - Matthew 5:3-7
- Our mercy to others is an overflow of God’s mercy to us - Ephesians 2:10
The forgiven forgive. Those who receive mercy show mercy. Or at least they should …
Yes - Matthew 5:7
- If we don’t show mercy it could mean 2 things
1. We have never experienced the mercy of God because we are not saved at all
2. We have closed the tap on all the mercy God has shown us and wants to flow through us
- If we don’t show mercy even though we are saved, our salvation is secure, but our relationship with God is weakened and His loving discipline is guaranteed
Mercy is more than a feeling, it’s an action
- To our family
- To our friends
- To our coworkers
- To the needy
- To ????