Passport (3) - Notes
Passport - Week 3
1 John 2:12-14
I am writing to you, dear children, because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name. I am writing to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I am writing to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one.
I write to you, dear children, because you know the Father. I write to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God lives in you, and you have overcome the evil one.
1. Not just men, but all believers
2. Not physical ages, but spiritual stages
- Children - They know their sins are forgiven because of Jesus’ name and they know that God is their Father
- Young Adults - They are strong because they know the Word and use it to overcome the evil one
- Parents - They know Jesus is from beginning, and therefore, is God Himself
Which stage are you? How do you move to the next stage?
3. Not just personal growth, but community nurture
Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed.
4. Not optional, but essential
- For maturity
- For ministry
- For victory
Then we will no longer be immature like children. We won’t be tossed and blown about by every wind of new teaching. We will not be influenced when people try to trick us with lies so clever they sound like the truth. Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church. He makes the whole body fit together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love.
2 Corinthians 7:6
But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus.