Kingdom FREEDOM - FORGIVENESS
Passport - Week 6
But the man fell down before his master and begged him, "Please, be patient with me, and I will pay it all." Then his master was filled with pity for him, and he released him and forgave his debt.
God’s forgiveness sets us free from sin’s ...
- Status (sin makes us God's enemies)
Which one of these consequences of sin are you most grateful to God for having been freed from when He forgave you and why?
Then the king called in the man he had forgiven and said, "You evil servant! I forgave you that tremendous debt because you pleaded with me. Shouldn’t you have mercy on your fellow servant, just as I had mercy on you?"
FORGIVE PEOPLE-AT LEAST THEY SHOULD!
Here are some reasons why we don't forgive ...
- It's hard
- We're hurt
- We're ungrateful
- We're unforgiven
Which reason is most true of you and why? If there is another reason why we (you) don't forgive, what is it? What has helped you to overcome this block and move on to forgiveness?
Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."
Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord.
What forgiveness is and is not
- Forgiveness isn’t a feeling; it’s a choice of obedience
- Forgiveness isn’t necessarily a bilateral negotiation; it’s a unilateral action - Luke 23:34
- Forgiveness doesn’t make the other person right; it makes you free
- Forgiveness let’s others off your hook, but not off God’s - Romans 12:19 - Forgiveness is giving up your right to revenge to the Lord
- Forgiveness isn’t reconciliation, but can lead to it
- Forgiveness isn’t automatically trusting the person, but can lead to a second chance
- Forgiveness doesn’t remove the consequences of the sin nor the need for accountability
- Forgiveness isn’t forgetting, but it leads to healing (relational, emotional, spiritual and physical)
- Forgiveness isn’t just for small sins; it’s for all sins
- Forgiveness isn’t always humanly possible, but with God all things are possible
- God forgave you! Forgiven people forgive people
- The greater the sin to forgive, the greater the grace to forgive it
Which of these 10 points do you need to reflect on and act on right now?
A prayer of getting and giving forgiveness
Father, I am a sinner. Forgive me. Specifically, I confess and repent of (my sin). Thank you for your amazing forgiveness! I now choose to forgive (person’s name) for (what they did to hurt me). I give up my right to revenge and ask you to forgive them. Set me free from my bitterness and heal my damaged emotions. I now ask You to bless (person’s name). In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Which phrase is most significant for you right now?