Kingdom Victory -:Dealing with Strongholds
Passport - Week 7
2 Corinthians 10:3-5 (NIV)
For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
2 Corinthians 10:3-5 (NLT)
We are human, but we don’t wage war as humans do. We use God’s mighty weapons, not worldly weapons, to knock down the strongholds of human reasoning and to destroy false arguments. We destroy every proud obstacle that keeps people from knowing God. We capture their rebellious thoughts and teach them to obey Christ.
Which of following phrases helps you most to understand what a stronghold is and why? Maybe you have another way to phrase it. What would that be?
- It is an idea that has a strong hold on you
- It is an entrenched thought that controls your thinking, feeling, choosing and living
- It is an false notion against God’s Word, will and ways
- It can be personal or cultural; individual or corporate
- It is a LIE that becomes your TRUTH
- It is a LIE that becomes your TRUTH and keeps you from walking in the joy, peace, freedom and victory that God has for His children
- It’s not a demon, though it can be influenced by a demon, and therefore, demonic
- It’s not an addiction, though it can lead to one and can fuel the addiction
Why is the mind such an important battleground? How have you seen this to be true in your experience?
Which step in overcoming strongholds is most important for you right now and why?
- Take Responsibility
- Get Your Fight On
- Reject the Lie
- Believe the Truth
- Get Support
- Obey the Lord
- Renew your Mind
- Pray with Authority
Separating men with men and women with women, have each person work through the following prayer being as honest and specific as possible. What is a lie that has become a stronghold in your life? Put it in words. Then help each other find a Biblical truth (if possible with a verse from the Bible) to counteract the lie. Then pray over each other in the name of Jesus for greater joy, peace, freedom and victory
Father, what is a lie that I have made my truth? Now what is your Truth that overcomes this lie? I reject the lie - ______ and replace it with your Truth - ______, in Jesus’ name, Amen.