Passport (9 Continued) - Notes
Kingdom Equipment:- The Gifts of the Holy Spirit
Why do we spend time learning about spiritual gifts?
1 Cor 12:1-2
Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant.
To equip the saints for works of service.
It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12 to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.
The Gospel should not only be about words or proclamation, but should be accompanied by the demonstration of the power of the kingdom.
He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues;
Listing of Gifts – the lists in the Bible are meant as descriptive examples and not as an exhaustive list. Therefore there are other gifts than those listed
We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. 7 If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8 if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.
Gifts of Service
- Service to others
Gifts of Administration
1 Cor 12:7-10
Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.
Gifts of Revelation (The Mind Gifts)
- Words of Wisdom: It is supernatural revelation, or insight into the divine will and purpose, showing how to solve any problem that may arise. This is the special ability that the Holy Spirit gives to see beyond individual facts and understand how they fit together in the “big picture”, to “fathom all mysteries and all knowledge.” (1 Corinthians 13:2)
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.
- Words of Knowledge: This is a special ability to perceive information revealed directly by the Holy Spirit. It is knowledge that could not have been perceived by natural means. This is supernatural revelation of divine knowledge, or insight into the mind, will or plans of God or of others that man could not know of himself.
My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
Words of knowledge may come in many different ways: impressions, mental pictures that come to us during prayer, single words that may come into our minds, etc. At times they come in a bodily sensation. Words of knowledge while praying for healing often reveal to us the underlying source of an affliction. Sometimes we are given a piece of the puzzle which may not mean anything to us but which will only make sense when you share it with those who hold the other pieces.
- Discerning of spirits: This is a special ability that the Holy Spirit gives to perceive the motivation force behind observed behavior. It is supernatural insight into the realm of the spiritual. In this realm we are able to detect which spirit is in operation and revelation as to their plans. There are three realms of influence: The Holy Spirit and the angels, Satan and demons, and the natural realm, or own choices.
1 John 4:1
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
Gifts of Inspiration (The Vocal Gifts)
- Prophecy: It is the miracle of divine utterance, not conceived by human thought or reasoning. There are two categories of prophetic gifting. The first is fore-telling, where God’s Spirit gives revelation of His will yet to be fulfilled. The second is forth-telling, where the Holy Spirit speaks through an individual.
2 Peter 1:20-21
Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
1 Cor 14:24-25
But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all, 25 and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, "God is really among you!"
- Tongues: This is supernatural utterance in other languages that are not known to the speaker. There are two categories of tongues. First, is the supernatural ability to speak in unlearned human languages. Second, is the utterance of heavenly languages; including ecstatic languages of praise and prayer. At times in healing encounters, God will give a gift of tongues to direct the prayer. Our spirits intercede directly to God, bypassing our intellect.
1 Cor 13:1
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels,
1 Cor 14:14-15
For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.
1 Cor 14:27-28
If anyone speaks in a tongue, two — or at the most three — should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.
- Interpretation of Tongues: Supernatural ability to interpret in the native tongue what is uttered in other languages not known by the one who interprets by the Spirit. This gift is key in the public gathering in order that the body might understand and be edified.
1 Cor 14:4-5
He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.
1 Cor 14:13
For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says
Gifts of Power (The Working Gifts)
- Faith: The supernatural ability to believe God without human doubt, unbelief, and reasoning. To confidently believe the unseen. Believing that God can and will do what He says He’ll do.
- Healing: The supernatural power to heal all manner of sickness without human aid or medication. A special anointing by the Holy Spirit to effectively pray for supernatural correction of physical or spiritual disorders.
- Miraculous Powers: The Supernatural power to intervene in the ordinary course of nature and to counteract natural laws if necessary. A miracle is any act that cannot be explained by natural means. It is an act of God intended as evidence of His power and purpose.
1 Cor 12:27-31
Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? But eagerly desire the greater gifts.
Find Your Fit
- Spiritual Gifts Test
- Volunteer Signup Form
- Volunteer Opportunities Outside of JesusChurch