The Bible (1) - Notes
The attack on God's Word
Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?”
The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’”
“You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.
WHAT IS THE BIBLE?
- Our Word about God? (Human Reflection)
- God’s Word to Us? (Divine Revelation)
PROCESS OF REVELATION
- Inspiration & Composition
- Compilation & Preservation
- Translation & Illumination
- Interpretation & Application
2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2 Peter 1:20-21
Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
PROCESS OF IN-SPIRATION
- God thought, spoke or acted
- God breathed this into humans
- The Spirit carried them along
- They spoke it out and/or wrote it down
- So what was spoken/written was the very Word of God
NATURE OF IN-SPIRATION
- Divine not Artistic
- Verbal not just Individual
- Partnership not Dictation (Fully Human & Divine - Written and Living Word)
MEANS OF IN-SPIRATION
- Visions & Dreams
- Audible and Inner Voice
- History and Commentary
- Inspired Creativity (Poetry and Songs)
- Incarnation (Jesus as the Living Word)
- Eyewitness Accounts
RESULTS OF IN-SPIRATION
- Not Our Word about God (Human Reflection)
- But God’s Word to Us (Divine Revelation)
- Trustworthy (Infallible and Inerrant)
WE AFFIRM the propriety of using inerrancy as a theological term with reference to the complete truthfulness of Scripture.
WE DENY that it is proper to evaluate Scripture according to standards of truth and error that are alien to its usage or purpose. We further deny that inerrancy is negated by Biblical phenomena such as a lack of modern technical precision, irregularities of grammar or spelling, observational descriptions of nature, the reporting of falsehoods, the use of hyperbole and round numbers, the topical arrangement of material, variant selections of material in parallel accounts, or the use of free citations.
- Written in Hebrew, Aramaic & Greek
- Written on Stones, Scrolls & Codexs
The Bible is God's Word so ...
- Read it
- Believe it
- Live it