Sin City (5) - Notes
Sex - MARRIAGE
1 Corinthians 7:1-2
Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband.
1. The Bible is Pro-Sex
So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. Your boasting is not good. Don’t you know that a little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough? God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”
2. Sex helps protect against sexual immorality
1 Corinthians 7:2
But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband.
(The Original & Only Safe-Sex)
Why did God create sex?
- To protect against sexual immorality
3. Sex is to be a mutual giving (YIELD), not taking. Paul focuses not on rights, but on responsibility (DUTY).
1 Corinthians 7:2-4
But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife.
- Theologically - Pandora was a curse to the paradise of the men only world
- Philosophically - Aristotle
“The male is by nature superior and the female inferior, the male the ruler and the female the subject”
- Politically - Slaves and women were never allowed to vote nor be counted in a census
- Women never came of age. They were always under the guardianship of a man. First, their father, then their husband and if widowed, a male relative.
- Herod’s Temple - Separated men and women
- “Thank you for not making me a Gentile, a slave or a woman”
- Could not study the Torah nor be a disciple of a Rabbi
- Paul says that wives are to submit to their husbands
(MUTUAL submission - Ephesians 5:21)
- Submission can’t contradict a woman’s AUTHORITY over her husband's body
4. Withholding sex is a bad idea, except for a mutually agreed upon season of prayer
1 Corinthians 7:5
Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
- Physical, relational, emotional
- You owe it to your marriage to get help!
Married couples, you need to be regularly having self-yielding, temptation-protecting sex